Health inscurance for students




Information on health insurance / health insurance

  • Compulsory health insurance
    Students at German universities are subject to compulsory health insurance (familienversichert). As a rule, they are subject to compulsory health insurance until until the end of the semester in which they reach the age of 30.
  • Since 1.1.2022, there has been a mutual electronic obligation to report health insurance between universities and statutory health insurance funds in accordance with 199a Para. 7 SGB V.
  • Please read the instructions on the
    registration obligation of the health insurance for:
  • Health insurance contributions for students:
    Statutory health insurance is offered at a lower rate for students. The costs are about 78 € per month. You can choose a health insurance company yourself with which you would like to be insured, there is a wide choice.Students who are required to have insurance must pay the contributions for the semester in advance to the relevant health insurance company before enrolling or re-registering. Health insurance company bylaws may provide for other methods of payment. For students who fail to meet their obligations to pay premiums, the university will refuse to enroll or accept re-registration.
  • Students who have family insurance will not be charged a contribution.
    Until they reach the age of 25 students are regularly covered by family insurance through their parents free of charge. After that, they are compulsorily insured themselves. Another prerequisite for family insurance is that the family member does not have a total income that regularly exceeds one seventh of the reference amount (€ 395.00) per month. (For marginally employed persons, the permissible total income is € 450.00).
  • Notes on the part-time job:
    Students who work for pay alongside their studies remain compulsorily insured if they are students in appearance, i.e. if their time and labour are predominantly taken up by their studies. On the other hand, those who, due to the scope of their employment, are employees in terms of their appearance, are not subject to compulsory insurance as students, but as employees.
  • Here you can find further information:

If your health insurance data change during the course of your studies, e.g. due to a change of health insurance company, please inform us!

Contact: ref-stud(at) or by phone 030 477 05 212

Information on accident insurance - accident notification

  • Students at Berlin colleges or universities are legally insured against accidents through the Unfallkasse Berlin. In the event of an accident, Unfallkasse Berlin will cover the costs of medical treatment and rehabilitation. This insurance is free of charge for students. The contributions are paid by the state of Berlin
  • Accidents that occur in connection with attendance at the university (this also includes journeys to and from the university) and have resulted in medical treatment must be reported immediately to the responsible accident insurance institution (Unfallkasse Berlin) by the university.
  • In order to ensure a timely report to the accident insurance fund, we depend on the cooperation of the students.
  • We therefore ask you to report the accident to theStudienberatung using the official form of the Unfallkasse Berlin. The form is also available in the office of the Student Advisory Service (Room A1.03).
  • Further information on how to report an accident insurance can be found on our helpdesk!
  • You can find further information about directly on the website of theUnfallkasse Berlin!

Flyer - Studieren - Aber Sicher!





Allgemeine Studienberatung
Susan Lipp

weißensee kunsthochschule berlin
Bühringstr. 20 - 13086 Berlin

Vertrauliche Sprechstunde: Raum A 1.09 Do 13-14 und nach VereinbarungOffene Sprechstunde: Raum A 1.09 Di 11-13 Uhr, Do 14-17 Uhr und nach Vereinbarungtelefonisch: Di 14-16 Uhr, Mi 10-12 Uhr Tel: (030) 47705 - 342schriftlich via E-Mail:






Weitere Auskünfte erteilen die gesetzlichen Krankenkassen und weitere detaillierte Informationen finden Sie unter den folgenden (externen) Links:

>Häufige Fragen für Studierende (Infos von der TK)



>Krankenversicherung für ausländische Studierende>